Monday, November 2, 2015

"All movies are worth watching"


Have you seen the Iranian movie "Taxi"? It is out in Oslo movie theaters.

The movie fascinated me with what it brought out of me. I am an Iranian,  and I think I am aware of what is happening in that country however, the way this story was put together had a certain lightness to  it. It did enlighten me and gave me a new version of how some people in Iran are, how they have changed. For example it is the most natural thing to execute people for whatever reason it maybe.

The truth is, there is absolute freedom of expression for some, therefore, they tell their truth and their truth is that it is ok to execute some people to teach a lesson to the rest!
It doesn`t cross their mind that the execution of small drug dealers by loads has`t helped the increase of drug addicts in Iran, it has`t crossed their mind that how on earth all the drugs gets in to a country so strict in it`s borders.

It seems that legal and illegal, real and unreal, have lost their real meaning, that the little girl in the movie is totally confused because what the teacher is trying to teach the kid in the school is killing her creativity and if she does`t have an uncle like Jafar Panahi thats what she is going to believe and that kind of a film maker she is going to become, a film maker who sees the reality of the society but stretches the truth of it, so badly until it is "presentable".

This made me think how often in our lives do we stretch the truth to make an acceptable point? Are we not lying to oneself then?

This movie as I said fascinated me with what it brought out of me.There are therefore as many interpretation of a movie as the number of the viewers and I am not interpreting it professionally because I am not a critic writer, I think a reasonably good article is on  review Los Angeles Times.

My enlightenment was that there is hope for this country and its people if proper education is put in place, an education that will not give space to superstition because it will be so available and accessible to all, an education that teaches us about diversity and respect for all regardless of their nationality,religion,race,temperament, gender and profession even if the man who asks for your daughter`s hand is from Afghanistan. : )
An education that encourages, empowers and polishes the gems within our kids, and have those wondering, garbage collecting children in schools and not expect them to be selfless when they are hungry.

For now with the pressure and dictatorship governing, we suffice to the goodwill of people who ask film makers to show and spread what is, through the art, and we salute them. Long live Jafar Panahi for you moved something in me.This is real art.

However, how do I want to contribute to this process?




No comments:

Post a Comment